The Rule Book
by: Jennifer Blackwood
Rule Breakers #1
Publication Date: May 9, 2016
Genre: Adult, New Adult, Contemporary Romance, Entangled Embrace
Starr Media Second-Assistant Survival Guide
1. Don’t call your hot boss the antichrist to his face.
2. Don’t stare at hot boss’s, um, package or his full sleeve of tattoos. (No. Really. Stop!)
3. Don’t get on the malicious first assistant’s bad side.
4. Don’t forget to memorize the 300-page employee manual.
5. If you value your cashmere, steer clear of boss’s dog.
6. Boss’s dimples are lust-inducing. Do. Not. Give. In.
7. “The elevator ate your clothes” is not a valid excuse for showing up to important meetings half dressed.
8. Don’t break seven of the rules within the first week of employment if you, ya know, are in dire need of money to support your sick mom.
9. Whatever you do, don’t fall for the boss. See rule eight about sick mom.
10. Never forget the rules.
The Rule Book follows Lainey as she starts her new job as a second assistant. She finds herself stuck with some outrageous rules made by her boss, Brogan Starr, and she cannot seem to not embarrass herself around him. Thrust in his world she learns more about the man behind the rules, and forgets her own rule about not falling in love with him.
“He didn’t complete me, because hell, I was complete to begin with, but he was the perfect complement, one that I’d be hard pressed to find in someone else.”
Lainey was a really fun heroine; I loved her awkwardness and ramblings. However, her internal ramblings got really long that the focus on the scene dissipated. Brogan seemed like a nice, smexy boss, however, his character felt uni-dimensional. And, the romance fell flat as well; I liked it was a slow burn, however, I didn’t really feel the chemistry – with Lainey’s rambling and lack of knowing Brogan’s thoughts it just didn’t work for me.
I think I would have enjoyed it more had it also included Brogan’s perspective. Other than that, it was a fun read and Lainey was a great heroine.
ABOUT JENNIFER BLACKWOOD
Jennifer Blackwood is an English teacher and contemporary romance author. She lives in Oregon with her husband, son, and poorly behaved black lab puppy. When not chasing after her toddler, you can find her binging on episodes of Gilmore Girls and Supernatural, and locking herself in her office to write.